Saturday, November 04, 2006

Trip to the university

I've been intending to write this post since last week but to my dismay I didn't get the TIME.
Surprised.... about me being so time pressed!!
Well lately, I've been a bit busy with studies. With near about 3 weeks left for exams, I guess it is high time I overcome my indolent fantasies and involve myself in significant work.

Last Wednesday, we had got invitations to a seminar at UNIVERSITY of Mauritius.... and as soon as I heard of it I immediately jumped up, not to miss out the opportunity. I had everything charted out.
I decided to wear my LIQUID shirt (my current favorite), ate cautiously at lunch so as not to put even an extra inch. I was all ready and reached outside college much before time, in order to rush into the bus at the earliest.
The journey was long but conversations from all ends ensured that I wasn't going to be bored. An hour into it, I finally sited the magnanimous university buildings in an otherwise flat terrain. A few turns and a steep uphill road got us there....

As we stepped out and proceeded to explore, we saw many groups of students scattered everywhere. Flaunting every possible brand of clothes, of varying length, size, colour and texture. We wondered if they looked more surprised to see us or vice a versa.
We fell back behind the whole gang, probably because we were too busy admiring, disapproving and commenting on whatever came into our field of vision. Then there were a bunch amongst us, involved in 'over friendly' banters and specious claims. And others like us, who chose rather to be mesmerized by the gripping atmosphere...!!
Our Principal & teachers led way, first stop was at the biggest auditorium ( I guess) but it turned out that it wasn't going to be the venue of the seminar that we were to attend! Oh... so in all excitement about description of the university I forgot to mention the exact purpose of our visit. A Professor from US had been invited to deliver a lecture on DIABETIC RETINOPATHY & MACULOPATHY. And being Phase III med students currently studying Ophthal, it was a good opportunity to learn.

The seminar was a hit. Thanks to the previous night discussion about the topic with G*, most of it was registered by my otherwise impervious brain on such occasions. I felt that the pathogenesis, classifications and to some extent treatments outlined were comprehend able at our level & I was thrilled, as it gave me a sense of achievement! After all, the hard work was paying off.
What more.... we shared the auditorium with the PM, some ministers of cabinet, the Dean, Chancellors, Medical officers, Ophthalmologists, lecturers..... I heard it was been covered by television channels too!
After the seminar & interactive session concluded we marched back to the bus happy, contended and tightly clinching on to our hand written notes and complementary folders...

With that another happy trip coming to an end....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual i dnt hav strong vocabulary 2 express mi views as u do,but would simply say ur dramatic style of expression is praiseworthy or simply awesome.Keep it up.U forgot 2 write tht u clicked mi pic.I think now u better study.Got it

The sound of Silence said...

Great post . How do you manage to make such mundane things so interesting ?

Inimitable_me said...

@ G* (anonymous) : Thx for the nice comment.
Sorry that i failed to mention about the brief photo session we had :-p
N

@ S ( The sound of silence) : GMTA ( Great minds think alike)! I just commented on your blog (the UJ post)...about ur ability to make things sound more interesting :-p
Anyhow...Thx for the comment :-)
N

Anonymous said...

Very gripping piece with a lot of imagination and creativity. Some details of renderings by the speakers, especially of the main speaker, would have added to education and information.